Stories for you

• NewsAFP News

Police arrest Columbia students, clear occupied building in campus unrest

Dozens of helmeted police flooded Columbia University's campus in the heart of New York City on Tuesday to evict a building occupied by pro-Palestinian student protesters and detain demonstrators.The action came as university administrators around the United States have struggled for weeks to contain pro-Palestinian demonstrations on dozens of campuses.

4-min read
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • BusinessAFP News

Weak yen boosts tourist wallets in Japan

Foreign tourists are flocking to Japan in record numbers and thanks to a sliding yen many are living like kings, splashing out on everything from kimonos to knives and slap-up meals."Thanks to the weak yen, foreign customers are buying a lot of handmade knives, even as prices rise," said Yuki Suzuki, 21, who works in a shop selling knives, another tourist favourite.

3-min read
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • BusinessAFP News

Qantas says app glitch exposed passengers' travel details

Qantas apologised Wednesday after a "technology issue" with its mobile app exposed users' travel details including their names, flights and points.Qantas confirmed that some frequent flyers saw other users' travel information including names, upcoming flight details, points balance and status.

1-min read
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • BusinessReuters

Microsoft to open first regional data centre in Thailand

BANGKOK (Reuters) -Microsoft will open its first regional data centre in Thailand, the tech giant said on Wednesday, as it looks to boost availability of cloud services. The news comes a day after Chief Executive Satya Nadella announced investments worth $1.7 billion investments in artificial intelligence (AI) and cloud facilities in neighbouring Indonesia. "The datacenter region will expand the availability of Microsoft’s hyperscale cloud services," the company said in a statement.

1-min read
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • PoliticsHuffPost

Trump Had 'Different Devices' To Keep Him Awake. You Can Guess What Happened.

The former president's attorneys are trying to stop him from dozing off during the trial.

2-min read
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • NewsAFP News

Nepalis fight TikTok ban in court, or ignore it entirely

When Nepal suddenly announced a ban on TikTok last year, lawyer Sunil Rajan Singh was determined to fight what he said was a government effort to hide its wrongdoings.Others like Singh are determined to fight.

4-min read
    Thanks for your feedback!
  • NewsAFP News

Minouche Shafik: From renowned economist to embattled Columbia president

An esteemed economist, Minouche Shafik was thrilled to become president of one of America's most prestigious colleges. In the Columbia Magazine, Shafik said she decided to become president of the "extraordinary institution" because it was the "most cosmopolitan, outward-looking" of America's top universities. 

3-min read
    Thanks for your feedback!